Craig M. Sandberg is a partner with the law firm of Muslin & Sandberg in Chicago, Illinois. He litigates a wide variety of civil cases including medical malpractice, personal injury, and commercial cases, as well as criminal defense matters. Mr. Sandberg has received Martindale-Hubbell’s “AV® Preeminent™” rating, which is the highest peer review rating in professional ethics and legal ability.
The needs of his clients have taken Mr. Sandberg across the country where he has represented clients in civil and criminal matters from Massachusetts to Washington.
Mr. Sandberg represents clients in trials, arbitration, and appeals in state and federal courts throughout sthe United States. He has first-chaired over 25 cases through to jury and bench verdicts, and has arbitrated over 80 cases in numerous forums, including the American Arbitration Association and the Cook County Mandatory Arbitration programs.
Craig has handled constitutional and appellate litigation in the Supreme Court of the United States, the Supreme Court of Illinois, and other courts throughout the country.
From 1999 to 2004, Mr. Sandberg was in private practice; from 2004 to 2007, he served as an Assistant States Attorney with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. Armed with this valuable experience, he returned to the private practice of law in 2007.
Mr. Sandberg’s skill as a trial lawyer have led him to a number of positions teaching both law students and attorneys. In addition to Craig's active personal injury practice, he is an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law, teaching trial advocacy. He served previously at the John Marshall Law School teaching legal writing skills.
Craig has also served as an instructor with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) and its deposition program. In November 2006, Craig was invited to and participated in NITA’s Pacific Teacher Training class on teaching advocacy skills in San Francisco, California. Mr. Sandberg was an instructor with the CBA College of Trial Advocacy. He was an instructor for the Federal Trial Bar Training Course on the art of expert examination at trial.
Recognition in the Legal Community
Mr. Sandberg was recognized as one of the 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 “Super Lawyers” and 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008 “Rising Stars” by Law & Politics and the publishers of Chicago magazine, and in 2007 as one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch” by Law Bulletin Publishing Company. He also received the 2004 Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service Award from the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association for his work on behalf of the indigent.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice and Hospital Negligence
- Personal Injury
- Maritime Law / Maritime Litigation
- Product Liability
- Automobile Accidents
- Aviation Accidents
- Railroad Accidents
- Transportation Liability
- Construction Injuries
- Medical Devices and Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Drug Liability
- Qui Tam / Whistleblower
- Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Professional Responsibility
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Defense
- Litigation & Appeals
- Federal Appellate Practice
- Federal Trial Practice
- State Appellate Practice
- State Trial Practice
- U.S. Courts of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois, Juris Doctor. 1998
- Staff Editor, Journal of Computer & Information Law
- Student Bar Association
- Externships: Honorable Ronald A. Guzman, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (1997) and the Honorable Allen A. Freeman, Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division (1996).
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, Bachelor of Arts, 1994
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Global Directory of Who’s Who (Top Lawyers)
- Illinois Super Lawyers – 2016
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2016
- Illinois Super Lawyers – 2015
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2015
- Illinois Super Lawyers – 2014
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2014
- Illinois Super Lawyers – 2013
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2013
- Illinois Super Lawyers – 2012
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2012
- Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars – 2011
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2011
- Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars – 2010
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2010
- Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars – 2009
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2009
- Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars – 2008
- Leading Lawyers Network – 2008
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch – 2007
- Who’s Who in America®, 61st, 62nd, 63rd, and 69th Editions
- Who’s Who in American Law®, 15th Edition – 2007
- Young Lawyers’ Section of the Chicago Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service Award – 2004
- Illinois State Bar Association
- John C. McAndrews Pro Bono Service Award Nominee – 2004
- Who’s Who: American Law Students, 16th & 17th Editions
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- Past Member, Young Professionals Board of Directors
- Gilda’s Club of Chicago
- Past Member, Associate Board of Directors
- Chicago Gateway Green
- Past Member, Underwriting Committee
Service to the Bar
- Chicago Bar Association
- Past Member, 2006 Nominating Committee
- Past Member, Strategic Planning Committee
- Past Member, CBA Record Editorial Board
- Past Chair, Medical-Legal Relations Committee
- Past Chair, Federal Civil Practice Committee
- Past Member, Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Past Member, Young Lawyers’ Section Executive Council
- Past Member, Young Lawyers’ Section Delegate to the ABA
- Past Chair, Young Lawyers’ Section Bankruptcy Committee
- Past Chair, Younger Lawyers’ Section Federal Trial Bar Training Course
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Past Member, Young Lawyers Division Council
- American Bar Association
- Past Member, Section of Litigation
- Past Co-Chair, Jury Instructions Subcommittee of the Trial Evidence Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- Past Member, National Young Lawyers Division, Board of Directors
- Past Member, National Young Lawyers Division Delegate to the ABA
- Past Member, Board of Directors for the Chicago Chapter
- Past Chair, Younger Lawyers for the Chicago Chapter
- Cook County Mandatory Arbitration
- Panelist, “2nd Annual Chicago’s Top Attorneys Under 40 Share Tools for Success,” Chicago Bar Association (February 2009).
- Moderator, “Avoiding a Communicable Disease Crisis: An Update on Isolation and Quarantine Issues in Illinois,” Chicago Bar Association (June 2007).
- Panelist, “Civility in the Profession: How to Act Like a Professional and How to Benefit from Relationships with Opposing Counsel,” part of Life After Law School program by the Chicago Bar Association (October 2006).
- Panelist, “Ethics/ARDC Issues,” part of Pleadings and Motions: A Symposium for Judges and Lawyers program by the Illinois State Bar Association (September 2006).
- Host, “Federal Civil Practice: Civility and Professional Responsibility,” Chicago Bar Association (May 2006).
- Panelist, “Making a Good Impression at the Interview: Interviewing Strategies Session,” part of Skills Programming Series at The John Marshall Law School (February 2006).
For further information, please see Mr. Sandberg’s Representative Cases page and Publications page.